Wednesday, December 3, 2003

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Last night I got to see this film at a press screening and I am on my way out the door for the press interviews, but I want to let you know that this is a great film. It is very long at 200 minutes, but if you want to experience the entire trilogy, this is a must. More later...

I'm back.

The Return of the King is really the heart of this cinematic masterpiece. I just learned yesterday that five of our sisters in Boston and three of our lay employees already have their tickets for a midnight showing of LOTR: Return of the King the day it opens! Now that's devotion!

Don't read any further if you don't want to learn more details about the film...

It starts differently than the other two films. We get back story about Gollum and find out his relationship to the Ring. Remember, I have not read the books, so I need this. The reason this is so important is because of what happens at the Crack of Doom when it is time to destroy the Ring - finally.

Who destroys the Ring? You have to see it and find out. If you are a Tolkienmeister then you have no choice but to see this and explore the scenes...

Who is the hero? Again - you have to see it and decide.

The best special FX, (the spider!), and the most moving. We have come to care about these characters.

The themes and ideas are myriad. A catechist's gold mine.

Enjoy! The Tidings here in Los Angeles is publishing my essay this week or next and then our web site at www.pauline.org will publish the extended version (for you Tolkien miesters, I know. The only DVD's worth anything are the extended versions! At the press junket that's all about three of the journalists would refer to - and the cast knew them well, too.)

The ending - different from all the other films, naturally, because the tale comes to an end. The music is wonderful, too. Enjoy!

No comments: