Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Miracle

Miracle is a satisfying sports movie but perhaps too locked into its historical period to have the emotional impact it might have had if it were produced before 1989 and the fall of the Berlin Wall. The film tries to make up for this lacuna by creating some emotional conflict between Coach Herb Brooks (Kurt Russell) and his wife Patty (Patricia Clarkson) and between the goalie and his father.

It works well enough. I don't even like hockey but the game between the USA and the Russians is riveting.

I liked the focus on "team" over individuality. True, some may say this is what all sports films are about, but it came across very well - and to individualistic Americans, it's a message we need to hear. Community is what it's all about.

Hoosiers is still my all time favorite sports movie... Then Remember the Titans. Golf movies? I'd rather watch water boil (and I hear there is one coming up this year!)

No comments: